Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mid-week and I am exhausted...

Tuesday, AM lesson

Considerably better than Monday's, thanks to more details and a deeper look into the book (which sucks). Back-up material proved to be useful to fill in some gaps, although we actually ended five minutes earlier, but being a short course, the students being tired as they go out every single night, and because they couldn't be bothered, it was ok.

Action plan: more preparation needed, again. Timing needs more consideration, as they tend to finish earlier than I plan.

Tuesday, PM lesson

A grammar lesson, mostly because I wanted to use the same material used in the AM class. It was good revision for one of the students, some new stuff for the other two, and due to a small board, it was also a bit confusing as I couldn't write everything that I wanted.
Funnily enough, on the questionnaire that I gave them at the end of the lesson, one of the students wrote the following (bear in mind that the class is made of three students): "The exercise was a bit difficult because we were three - pairwork would have been better"...DUH!

Action: I should start considering a plan for my boardwork, as it is usually clear in my head, but there are such things as TINY boards where my amount of clear spidergrams and stuff doesn't really fit...

Wednesday, AM lesson

Carefully planned, including the vocabulary that I intended to teach which was taken from another book, and I had a close look at the grammar, just in case something strange would come up. We started off with a game to revise the articles, really, which they really appreciated, and then off we went with vocabulary and discussion, a quick listening, more discussion to practise the vocabulary, a look at the grammar and a quick practice of that again. Finally, a bit of discussion using an activity from another book, so they could use the vocabulary learnt in the first part of the lesson, and have some fun discussing the people in the picture I had given them.
Generally a positive lesson, getting better and better. I wish I had more students, though, as having only 3 (and next week they will come down to 2) means being 100% involved in their work, rather than supervising it, and a lot more back-up because the feedback is always shorter.

Action plan: keep on organising in more details, back-up stuff still very useful.

Wednesday, PM lesson

Only two out of 3, of which one is the hyper girl with short attention span...We ended up chatting, with her leading the conversation, the other guy occasionally contributing, but he had a good time too as we laughed a lot and we practiced pronunciation in a discreet way... His comment was positive, at the end of the lesson, as he complained that "my jaw is aching for all the laughing". I take it as a good thing.

Action plan: none, really, as I had a complete lesson plan ready to use and we just got carried away by other things, as it happens sometimes, but it was good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment