Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Can I have a bigger class, please?

Seriously! It's a bit exhausting, at the end of the day, especially when one of the two students is off (being on a long course they get Wednesday afternoon off, shame that the class is a short course one, so I ended up with not-very-lively- Czech guy). And next week it will be exactly the same...
Actually, if I can be picky and I actually get more students, could I have 2, or 4, or 6, etc? It is my dream to have an even number of students (more than two, though), so that the dream of every EFL teacher can come true for me: PAIR WORK! Yes, I can do it now, but it's a bit mechanical, and besides, they do turn to me every minute to check answers or whatever it is, with me!
I managed to teach using my own version of the Silent Way, today...only to balance the amount of TTT I was using. It worked, it was improvised, it was fun for the students too: cool. Ok, I agree with whoever it was (Harmer?), it's not about TTT but about TTQ (can be wrong there): as in, the quality of your talking time is what matters, not the amount, and I always make sure that I am using my time in a useful way. Still though, how I miss the good times when you set a speaking task to a big bunch of students, and then start moving silently from pair to pair, enjoying the sound of talk around you...

No comments:

Post a Comment