Sunday, April 22, 2012

The advanced conversation dilemma...

The workshop was interesting and useful, and I finally have a few minutes to jot down the ideas that we discussed:

- the importance of grammar in an advanced conversation class (a starting point? something to revise occasionally? bit and pieces to use to conclude the lesson?)
- the structure of a conversation lesson vs. a "normal" lesson (PPP, or whatever methodology, or the old "here's an article/a listening/some random or topic-based vocabulary: let's talk about it"?)
- interaction with the students and the role of the teacher, plus what to expect from the students (in real life people don't necessarily participate actively in a conversation, with the same percentage of talking time: so why trying that in class?)
- and useful ideas from some books, which I won't mention here mostly because I am writing from memory and apart from the old "Discussions that work", I can't really think of the other texts.

Ultimately, some interesting stuff. Still, I am glad that my class is nearly over, with May 2nd their last lesson: phew...

No comments:

Post a Comment