Sunday, April 04, 2010

PDA Stage 4, or: utopia

Since we are almost at the end of module 2 (with the external observation being the nightmare of nightmares, but let's not dwell on it), there is one more thing to do to close a chapter: complete the PDA assignment.
The PD (professional development) assignment, also called R&A (research and action), is the idea that after being observed the first time (the diagnostic, that is, not the official LSA1), you can identify key areas for development and improvement, as well as strengths to work on even more to become a super teacher. (Ahem: yeah, right).
So, divided into three stages, first you identify these areas, in the next session you say how you are working on them and possibly if there is anything to adjust (example: now that you, examiner, mention it, I see that my board work is not that bad...but my ccq are, so let's include them in my list. Just an example - my ccq are great, and so is my boardwork!).
Now it's the last stage, which is the one where (I just checked this on the rubric) you comment on how my "beliefs on teaching and learning and my classroom practice have changed as a result of this assignment" then you "identify and critically evaluate the most effective procedures and/or methods and/or documents for reflection and observation" that I (should) have used for my own professional development for this assignment; finally, you outline how you will continue to use these as part of your own continuing professional development.

In other words, you tell them what they want to hear and everyone's happy.
Because once again, let's face it, would we really have the time to do this? How can I write on my assignment that not only I have never had time to observe other teachers (being that I need to work to pay the rent/food/gym/books/Delta and can't just take time off), but the two I actually observed in December had a lot more faults than me and actually, I think that they would have benefited from a couple of input sessions on, say, how NOT to answer your own ccq. How can I say that yes, in an ideal world I would come home from a 10-hour work day and happily start developing materials for professional development, such as student's questionnaires, feedback forms, write my own journal on every lesson (which fair enough, I tried to do, only time...), and so on and so forth. Experience has taught me that most teachers just go by the book, and have no interest whatsoever in improving their teaching skills, especially once they're happily settled (like my current colleagues) and all they need to do is check that the cd player works, then off to class. Some do put some effort, but only because they've seen the same material over and over again and could do with some variety!
Ultimately, I am going to work on improving, constantly, because it's the way I am, and I love my job and want to be good at it. But I don't think I need to tell the Delta people that I will do it, because I certainly cannot promise a detailed action plan when I have no idea where I will be a year from now. Or six months from now, as far as I'm aware...the job in London is only until mid-August...

Anyway, enough of this: let's just write it down and pretend it never happened.
Happy Easter, everyone:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment