Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The long, long, long update continues...

Week five

Saving money doesn’t make me feel better..

Good good girl… waking up incredibly early on Saturday morning, after moving to a new place for what I hope will be a bit more than 3 weeks, I lied in bed thinking of my immediate future: London or not London? And considering how I had just been accepted on the DELTA, which is going to cost a loooot, and how my contract has been extended but not till November, to October!, and with one week of “holiday” which I’ll be forced to take during September, well I had no choices, did I?

Dutifully I decided to stay in Bournemouth and invest my energies in the following activities:
- find my way from the new place to the school, as I am now further (up? Down? Who knows). Map in one hand and smiling in the sun of a beautiful morning, I did find my way and estimated the time of arrival within 45 minutes: we are back on track with some serious morning walk before work, yay!
- Find the library and possibly join too…which was not possible as my current address is still in Brighton and that will do no good. So, mission postponed to Thursday, when I should have managed to have some bank statement that proves that I am (for now) a Bournemouthian (??? Making words up as usual…). But apart from that, the library is really nice, Brighton-like although not as big, with armchairs, an exciting noise of life all around the place, and tons of interesting books. I have recently taken up an interest in history, since fiction has bored me, and I am still afraid that it will be hurtful, so I can’t wait to get my card and start reading.
- And finally, invest the money saved by not going to London in…books for the Delta course. Only 3 books should be sort of compulsory, and I did buy one, almost bought a second, then flipped through and found it scarily similar to one I already have: I mean, there is only so much you can write about phonology… I’ll give it another thought before proceeding.

Later in the day, a call from John which lifts my spirit up, especially as it comes minutes after I have returned home with my shopping, without getting lost in the process, and looking forward to scrambled eggs on toast that I’ve been dreaming of for the past month (sad soul that I am…). So I am in the quiet of my room, and enjoy a short talk with him, and am left with a big smile…and my lunch waiting to be prepared in the kitchen!
Seriously though, it’s nice to be back to use a kitchen after two months of forced inactivity.. The place with Deaf Landlady was just too small, the stove electric, and the pans.. well, just not good, as DL tended to burn them almost on a weekly basis… Although, what with the need to save money, I am not sure I will eat that much in the future: the rent, the gym, the course…ow.

Updating regularly would do this blog a favour

Instead, it’s Monday morning and I am just wondering what to teach in my pm class, frantically flipping through books that could present any slightly interesting conversation-sparking material…
Well, I download more stuff from iPlayer, which as usual will be used for the Friday lesson, and then I jam the photocopier due to my responsible decision to make double-sided copies for the sake of the forests, but clearly the photocopier disagrees…
I get back home in a fantastic 40 minute-walk, and experience the pleasure of cooking again after more than two months on a forced diet of (first) canteen food, and (then) raw carrots, fruit, yogurt, sandwiches, and microwaveable soup. So, to start a new section of this blog, let’s begin...

Food for all seasons

Mushroom soup – September 2009

Really, soups are the easiest thing: all you need is some olive oil or butter to melt in the pan, then some chopped onion, maybe some garlic too (it goes great with mushrooms), when they start to turn golden add the mushrooms, and pour boiled water on it all, and a stock cube. Let it go, let it go, let it go, for about twenty minutes; to make it thicker, add a diced potato halfway. Check seasoning, and serve with toasted brown bread and olive oil..or with a nice chunk of cheese on the side. Yummi, warm, autumnal... beautiful

Ramadan is not good

Ok, I’m going to be in trouble for writing this. But seriously, guys, this is not good for you. You cannot come to my class half starved, and make a mess of my lesson plan just because you’re dying for a cup of coffee at breaktime or a sandwich or pizza or whatever. My Thai guy and I are getting tired of it. You’re all nice guys, but please stop it. Seriously. Go to Burger King and stuff yourself with chips drowned in ketchup, and then a gallon of Coke, that cannot but be good for you. And when your immune system tells you that you should really eat, and you come to class all weak and with fever and a sorethroat, do you know what you have to do? Go home, have a nice cup of tea, or milk with lots of honey, and a good-for-you tablet of Paracetamol. That’s a good boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment